Haven't you always wanted a dog breed that accompanies you for many years? In terms of human years, dogs don't usually live to be very old. For a lot of people, this can be a pretty big concern as some dog breeds may experience costly health issues, which causes the breed to have a shortened life span. So, which dog breed lives the longest?
There are quite a few breeds who are known to live to more than twelve years. When you bring home a new pet, it may be a good idea to consider some of the longest living dog breeds.
According to a general estimate, dogs that weigh less than 19 pounds, have an average life span of 12 years. Medium-sized dogs in the 20 to 90 pound range have a life expectancy of around ten years. Giant breeds, weighing more than 90 pounds generally live up to 8 years. The quality of life led by the dog can contribute to its greater lifespan. In other words, if the dog gets enough exercise and lives on a healthy diet, you can expect him to live longer than the average life span. Look up this list for which dog breed lives the longest in USA while you decide to bring home your new companion.
Living with Toy Poodles
Toy poodles are incredibly sharp. Do you know this dog breed lives the longest in USA? In toy breeds, physical problems affect the body at a slower pace than with larger breeds. Issues like joint problems, arthritis, pancreatitis, or a cardiovascular diseases will affect the standard poodle earlier than a toy breed. As a result, given that the poodle gets good exercise and mental stimulation, he can live up to fifteen-sixteen years. According to researches, it is the dog breed that lives the longest.
How Can Poodles Live for Long?
You can take a few definitive steps to ensure that your poodle lives for long.
- Remember that good caregiving is one of the primary reasons to ensure the dog breed lives the longest in USA.
- You must provide them with good and healthy food that prevents buildup of toxins in their bodies.
- Make sure that your poodle gets to spend enough quality time doing exercises. However, you should be attentive that the dog does not develop a traumatic injury due to heavy exercising. Trauma is one of the leading reasons for fatalities in toy breeds.
Taking Care of the Beagle
Beagles are highly endearing dogs that live for quite long. The average life expectancy of a beagle is 12 to 13 years, but in some households they can live for sixteen years or more. It is a dog breed lives the longest in USA.
How Can Beagles Have A Long Life?
What can you do to increase the life expectancy of your pet?
- You need to ensure that the Beagle get enough exercise to satisfy their curious, outgoing nature.
- They also need plenty of mental stimulation.
- Make sure to engage your pet in fun games to keep him in his best.
- If a Beagle stays indoors most of the time, they tend to gain weight, which reduces years from his life expectancy. Go for daily walks. Play with frisbees and go jogging with your pet. Just be careful to avoid overdoing it as it can lead to a traumatic injury.
- Cancer is a leading cause of fatality in Beagles. Having your pet spayed or neutered will prevent the chances of developing ovarian or testicular cancer.
Which dog breed lives the longest in USA? The Beagle does, given that you care well for your dog.
Australian Shepherds Are Great Herd Dogs
The Australian shepherd is a very special entry to the list of dog breeds. Out of the larger dog breeds, the Australian Shepherd is one of the top on our list of longest living breeds! The Australian shepherd can weigh up to 40 to 60 pounds and still have a lifespan more than 12 years. They are known to surpass fifteen years of age, and in many cases even live to be much older.
What Makes Them So Special?
They are highly active dogs and are greatly territorial. They were first bred in California (and not in Australia). They are called 'Australian' because their parentage includes Basque shepherds who were originally bred in Australia.
Australian shepherds or Aussies have a strong herding and guarding instinct and they are highly protective of their families. This makes them the cowboy's guard dog of choice. A sedentary lifestyle is not for them and they are ideal for homes with a large fenced yard, or open fields to play in. Along with being on our list of longest living dog breeds, the Aussie is also a great pet to have!
Welsh Corgi is An Active Breed
Welsh Corgis are favorite house pets for their loyal and affectionate nature. They also get along nicely with kids making them ideal as family pets. If you are looking for which dog breed lives the longest in USA, your search may end with a Welsh Corgi. They are known to have a lifespan of sixteen to seventeen years, given that you take proper care of your pet.
Things to Know About Welsh Corgis
There are two main variants of this breed, the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. They are slightly longer than they are tall. As a result, these dogs are slightly more prone to arthritic and bone problems. The Pembroke breed is more popular of the two are ten to twelve inches tall. They weigh from 23 to 28 pounds, are highly active dogs that love playing around.
They are good herding dogs and can handle livestock much larger than their own size. They are big dogs in small bodies that do well with access to the yard. This dog breed lives the longest in USA and thrive well in rural settings.
Dachshunds are Loyal and Courageous
Dachshunds are also very popular as a dog breed lives the longest in USA. If you want to know what dog breed lives the longest, the dachshunds are good contenders. They can live up to seventeen years, and in a few rare cases, they are known to live for more than twenty years. However, they may not be ideal for families with children as they can be quite aggressive when you did not socialize them properly.
Qualities of a Dachschund
- They can be slightly standoffish towards strangers, but that also makes them incredibly good as guard dogs.
- Adult Dachshunds should get at least one hour of daily walk.
- It is very important to train them at an early age so that they get along with all the members of the family.
- As a dog breed lives the longest in USA, you should do all you can to see your pet lives long with you. Avoid getting the Dachshund traveling up and down the stairs as it can cause back problems in the long term.
Which Dog Breed Lives the Longest in the USA? The Chihuahua!
In the United States, the Chihuahua is notoriously one of the longest living dog breeds! As one of the longest-living known dog breeds, the Chihuahua can easily live up to seventeen to eighteen years. In some rare instances, the Chihuahua has been known to even live more than twenty years!
Longest Living Breed
If you are looking for what small dog breed lives the longest, you might be looking for a Chihuahua. They are little, feisty wonders that can be wonderful family pets. They are highly active dogs who love to play around. They love the company of people and look forward to play times.
- They can be highly demanding dogs and are prone to developing separation anxiety. They are intelligent learners who take to training quite easily.
- They are very curious and playful, but you should be careful about letting your pet Chi play with larger dogs. Due to their small size, they are at a natural disadvantage and can get hurt quite easily.
- They also have a big personality, which means that they can stand up to a larger dog.
- They may not be ideal for houses with small children because they can get hurt by a playful toddler.
The Yorkie is a Playful Pet
The Yorkie is another small dog with a lot of personalities packed into it. It is intelligent, playful, and are amazing companion dogs. They are some of the most glamorous dogs with a long, silky coat adorning their bodies. It is a dog breed lives the longest in USA, with a lifespan stretching to seventeen-eighteen years. It is a dog breed that lives the longest on average.
It's a Terrier
- Although they are guard dogs, but being true to their terrier heritage, they can be suspicious of strangers.
- If you do not train them well, they can have a bit of a barking problem.
- Be careful when introducing it to a new pet. They get along with other pets as long as they are raised with them. However, a grown-up Yorkie may take a new animal as an intruder and true to the terrier spirit, try to fight him to death. These fights can cause traumatic injuries that can reduce the lifespan of your pet.
Consideration With an Yorkie
They are not ideal for homes with smaller children because they can get hurt. If you are bringing a Yorkie home, make sure he is taken proper care of. However, you should not over-indulge your pet as it can make them neurotic. With the right care, the Yorkie can be the dog breed lives the longest in USA.
The Fabulous Looking Lhasa Apso!
The Lhasa Apso is a fabulous dog who will be living with you for sixteen years or more.
- Although originally from Tibet, it is a dog breed lives the longest in USA. They may be small, but they can be fierce and independent.
- They can adapt anywhere, even when you are living in an apartment. Just make sure that your pet gets the daily walk around the park. They are highly protective and loyal pets with a distinct mischievous trait.
- They are very independent in nature which means that they may be a little difficult to train. You must remember to be consistent in training the Lhasa Apso otherwise, he may try to gain the upper hand. New trainers can find it a little bit frustrating to train a Lhasa Apso, but with proper care they eventually turn to be loyal dogs.
They have a long and flowing coat, which means you have to devote a lot of time to grooming. They are known in their homeland as the 'Abso Seng Kye', which means the Bark Lion sentinel dog. The lionhearted Lhasa Apso can be extremely devoted and sincere, as long as you properly train them.
The Cockapoo is A Wonder Dog
He is a cross-bred dog between the Cocker Spaniel and the Poodle. He is a lovable, and friendly dog that is known to live long. If you want to find a hybrid breed of dog lives the longest, the Cockapoo can be your best choice.
What Is a Cockapoo Like?
They carry the best qualities of both purebred parents.
- They have an outgoing personality like the Cocker Spaniel and love their playtimes. They are highly energetic and active and bond very well over playtime. Adult cockapoos will need at least half an hour of exercise twice a day to stay stimulated and live a long life.
- Do note, they have a tendency to over-exercise, which may not be good for their health. Keep an eye on signs of fatigue to avoid health problems like joint pain.
- They are considered hypoallergenic like their Poodle parents as they tend to shed very less. However, this should not mean that you can neglect their grooming needs. They need regular grooming sessions lest their coats develop mats and tangles. With proper care, it is a dog breed lives the longest in USA and can accompany you for many years to come.
The Great Doberman
Doberman Pinschers are counted among large breed dogs that live the longest. They are highly intelligent and can pick up commands very quickly. Although they can be intimidating, at the same time, they can be very loyal companions. They are devoted guard dogs who would do everything to protect their masters. They can live up to twelve to thirteen years, which is a significant duration for a large dog to live.
Taking Care of Dobies
They are muscular and powerful. Make sure that your Dobie has enough exercises to burn off all that pent-up energy. It is very important to train and socialize them well. They respond very well to positive reinforcement training. With proper socialization, Dobermans can be very caring pets.
Besides these ten dog breeds, there are many others known to have a long life. When you choose your pet based on dog breed lives the longest in USA, commit to giving a quality life to your pet. Do you know that in many cases lifespans of smaller dog breeds are lessened by trauma caused inadvertently from owners? It is still a mystery and a matter of active research as to why larger dog breeds have shorter life spans. However, all things said, both larger and smaller dog breeds deserve your best attention. Dogs are special beings and it is up to humans to gift them a happy life.